Contributed by Husqvarna
Cutting down a tree, also called felling a tree, requires planning, talent, and a wholesome quantity of respect to your instruments and the tree. Relying on the environment, atmosphere, and dimension of the tree, it may be a doubtlessly harmful job that’s greatest left to skilled arborists. Nevertheless, if the tree is a manageable dimension, a well-prepared particular person with the precise instruments can fell a tree safely and effectively.
When planning to fell any tree, some primary parts ought to all the time be adopted:
- Be Nicely-Geared up – In case you haven’t already accomplished so, get sufficient coaching for chainsaw utilization. Be sure that your noticed is in optimum working order, with gas, bar oil and a pointy chain, correctly adjusted. Spend money on private protecting gear (PPE), together with helmet, ear and eye safety, gloves, correct boots, and chainsaw-resistant chaps. At all times put on PPE when working a chainsaw.
- Assess The Tree – Perceive the peak and diameter of the tree in addition to the lean, which can require totally different chopping methods (extra under). Perceive the dynamics of tree-felling, particularly what may go flawed.
- Study Your Environment – It’s vital to look throughout, contemplating obstacles the tree may contact throughout the fall, the wind situations throughout the job, in addition to the slope of the bottom you’re working from. It’s essential to plan the place the tree will fall and plan your individual protected escape route.
- A Good Begin – A chainsaw is greatest began on the bottom, with the chain brake engaged. Making the precise cuts from the beginning will end in a very good, clear hinge and a job that goes in accordance with plan.
- Eradicating the Tree – Felling often is the most dynamic and invigorating a part of the job, however the work to take away the particles requires its personal abilities and presents totally different challenges.
As soon as on-site with prepared gear, stroll across the tree and, as mentioned, assess the lean and decide the place you need it to fall. It’s vital to look at from a number of angles. Timber that look like completely straight from one angle could, actually, have pronounced leans. A leaning tree acts in a different way from a straight tree as you narrow and because it falls.
It’s your job to make cuts that handle the hinge-point you’re creating, so it helps the tree till you’re prepared for it to fall. A tall tree carries a variety of weight excessive off the bottom. In case your hinge is just too weak and permits the tree to start to lean earlier than you’re prepared, strain can construct above the hinge and the trunk can snap leading to a harmful and uncontrolled occasion. It’s crucial your hinge maintains its integrity and bears the burden of the tree till you make the ultimate minimize.
As soon as you identify the place the tree will fall, plan an escape route so you will get a protected distance away. Keep distant from the stump since throughout the fall, the tree could “chill” violently on the stump. Clear up the escape route as wanted earlier than felling to make sure the realm is freed from particles and hazards.
Making The Minimize
There are a number of kinds of cuts you may make relying on the tree. The primary minimize to make is the notch minimize on the face of the tree on the facet the place it’ll fall. There are three primary notch cuts:
- A “Commonplace” 45˚minimize, with the underside degree.
- A “Humboldt,” which is an upside-down commonplace notch. On this case, the wedge created will slide out and the remaining stump might be angled. This notch is usually used to reap hardwoods for milling lumber.
- An “Open Face” which is an roughly 70˚ angle commonplace minimize that’s about 80% throughout the face of the tree. When this notch is made, think about the tree “closing” the notch utterly when it falls. Expert arborists in want of felling accuracy and effectivity typically use this notch.
Subsequent, a bore minimize is made a couple of 1.5” behind the underside of the notch. This minimize units up the hinge. It’s vital the bore minimize doesn’t break the hinge by chopping by to the notch at any level. When making a bore minimize, remember the dynamics of the noticed. Start a bore minimize by contacting the tree on the decrease tip of the chain. Utilizing the highest of the chain will trigger the noticed to chill towards you. We name the bar high the “no-go-zone.”
You possibly can bore utterly by the tree. When by, set the chain brake and take away the noticed from the minimize. Pull the noticed out of the bore whereas the chain is stopped to stop chopping by the hinge, which may create a dangerously unstable tree.
Subsequent, re-insert the noticed and minimize towards the bottom. Minimize about 80% by, leaving a bit of “holding wooden” to maintain the tree secure. It’s advisable to insert a wedge into the bottom minimize as quickly as doable to stop the tree from leaning away from the hinge and doubtlessly binding the noticed.
Now the tree is able to fall. Re-examine the environment, the autumn zone, and escape route. Make the ultimate minimize by the holding wooden on the tree again. As soon as the again minimize is made and the tree begins to fall, transfer away.
Often, after making the ultimate minimize, wedges might also be required to assist the autumn. That is frequent with timber leaning reverse the specified felling course. If the tree doesn’t start to fall after the again minimize, strike the wedge already in place with the axe butt till the tree kerf (the groove created by chopping) begins to open. Watch the kerf intently and evacuate because it opens.
Limb & Buck
As soon as the tree falls, it’s time to “limb and buck” for removing. A tree resting its branches on the bottom remains to be a hazard. Use care in relieving the strain on branches to stop the noticed from binding and to make sure the tree doesn’t roll uncontrollably. Preserve the work zone clear as you take away branches to cut back journey hazards.
Felling a tree is a bodily train. When fatigue units in, accidents are extra seemingly. So concentrate on fatigue, keep hydrated, and be ready to come back again contemporary and rested the following day.
Go to Husqvarna.com for extra chainsaw and tree felling data and instruction. Plenty of movies and content material can be found. Husqvarna sellers are an ideal useful resource to help with correct gear use, or to advocate a tree skilled if required.
Do you will have a remark? Share your ideas within the Feedback part under, or ship an e-mail to the Editor at [email protected]